I often get the questions “How do you travel so often?” and “Where are you off to next?”
Honestly, I believe the main reason why I am able to travel “so often” is because I put in time and the effort to travel. Half of the time I don’t know where I am going, but I will most certainly make sure that I have scheduled time off. As far as having the means to travel…well I have an account where I put money in just for flights and getaways. The worse thing to me is seeing a great flight deal and not having the means to book it right on the spot. Having a travel fund is one thing I encourage a lot of my friends and family to do. This takes a lot of discipline to do; but for me it is pretty easy because I focus on my goal which is to travel as much as possible.
Below are some tips and advice of what I do when planning my vacations/getaways:
- Take advantage of three-day weekends (if possible add an additional day or 2, instead of taking off an entire work week)
- Create your own three-day weekend: add an extra day to a weekend (maybe schedule a Friday or Monday off)
- Schedule days off in advance! Randomly select days off, even if you don’t have anything planned yet. (Having scheduled time off would force you to want to do something.) Schedule the time, and then plan the trip from there.
- Try to stay away from traveling around big holidays, unless you have to. (Flights tend to be more expensive)
- Use your personal, sick and vacation days/hours to your advantage, especially if your job isn’t the kind that “If you don’t use it you lose it”.
- Book flights months in advance (if you can), this way it gives you time to plan, research and save.
As I continue to share my experiences, I will breakdown exactly what I did with my days in order to take time off from work and enjoy my trip.